Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tiramisu Cupcakes

It seems like a million years since I have posted. I think I'm about 4 recipes behind on the blog from being swamped with finals so I'm excited to be able to finally sit down and update it! Anyways, Tiramisu cupcakes. Yum. I love tiramisu. It is so spongy and coffee-y and creamy and one of my favorite desserts. So when there was an opportunity to bake for the APO bake sale, I decided I wanted to make these tiramisu cupcakes. They were delightful and so much more individually sized than a big honking piece of it. I was a big fan of these. The original recipe came from one of my favorite bloggers, Brown Eyed Baker
Some lovely APO brothers at the bake sale
CAKE:
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 cup milk
Splash of vanilla
4 T butter (Room Temp., cut into pieces)
3 Whole eggs
3 egg yolks
1 cup sugar

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Heat milk and vanilla in a small saucepan until bubbles form on the edges of the pot. Remove from the heat, and whisk in the butter until completely melted and combined. Let cool for 10 minutes. Beat the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar at medium speed. Set mixing bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and beat on high until the mixture is fluffy, thick, and pale yellow in color. Gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Fold the milk mixture in, but only until combined. Don't over mix. Divide the batter among a lined cupcake tin and bake at 325 for 20 minutes. Let cool before frosting.

While the cupcakes are baking, make the syrup.

COFFEE SYRUP:
1/3 cup strongly brewed coffee
1/4 cup sugar

Over medium heat, whisk together the coffee and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Let cool until syrup is thick. Brush over cooled cupcakes and let the syrup seep into the cupcakes for about 30 minutes before frosting.

FROSTING:
1 cup heavy cream
8 oz. mascarpone cheese at room temp
1/2 cup powdered sugar

On medium speed, whisk heavy cream until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, mix the mascarpone and powdered sugar until smooth. Very gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture. Use immediately so the whipped cream doesn't collapse.

Not my best looking cupcakes. The whipped cream collapsed while folding it into the mascarpone

This recipe was super delicious despite the frosting not looking very good. I dusted mine with a little cocoa powder to try to spice up their look a bit but it wasn't too successful. I don't work with whipped cream frosting often, so with a little practice, hopefully these cupcakes will be prettier. Regardless, they tasted delightful and I will definitely make them again. 

Happy Spring!!

xoxo,
KG

No comments:

Post a Comment