Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chai Cinnamon Hazelnut Goodness

GUYS. I am having severe baker pride right now. Yesterday, for the first time in my baking career, I made up a recipe totally from scratch. Usually I use other people's recipes for inspiration and then I add my own little flare where flare needs to be added. But I was feeling extra confident in my abilities and decided to just make up my own recipe. I'm so excited about this. I have a list of about A HUNDRED cupcake recipe ideas but I decided to start out with my own experimental recipe rampage with a simpler cupcake. I made a cinnamon chai cupcake with a hazelnut buttercream and I have to admit, I am pretty proud of how they turned out. Now is the time I usually send you to the link where I got my inspiration but NO NEED FOR THAT TODAY!
KJ gave Marissa, Sarah, and me a ride to a concert on Friday when it was POURING rain so I obviously had to repay him with some delicious treats. My mom always gets excited when Ben or Grace's boyfriend, John, comes over for dinner because she likes cooking for boys. They eat so much! I never really understood the concept until presenting boys with a heaping plate of cupcakes. They just eat all of them and are so appreciative of the free sugary goodness. It's so nice when all of your food is eaten and liked!

CINNAMON CHAI CAKE:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 t baking powder
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1 stick butter at room temp
2 eggs
A couple splashes of vanilla
1 cup chai concentrate (I used Oregon Chai)
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar

Cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy and combined. Add the eggs one at a time, beating in between additions. Add the vanilla and mix until combined and creamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in batches, alternating with additions of chai and milk. Beat until all of the ingredients are combined and smooth. Spoon into a lined cupcake tin and and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
When the timer beeped, I was pretty sure I was going to open the oven to some sort of radioactive, volcanic explosion. I didn't! They looked like real life cupcakes! 

HAZELNUT BUTTERCREAM:
1 1/2 sticks butter (room temperature)
3 cups powdered sugar
A couple shakes of cinnamon
1 T hazelnut torani syrup (more or less to taste. Be careful though, because this gets super hazelnutty super quickly)

Beat the butter until whipped. Add the powdered sugar in batches until combined and fluffy. Add the cinnamon and combine. CAREFULLY add the hazelnut. Seriously. Start with less. Torani is potent stuff. I wound up having to do a little recon work with extra powdered sugar. Spoon, or pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes!

Now that I have successfully made up my very own cupcake recipe, I'm so excited to start crossing off some other original concoctions off of my ENORMOUS list of ideas. Good things are happening, people.

It's a great day to be cooking cupcakes!

xoxo,
KG

No comments:

Post a Comment