Tuesday, February 7, 2012

S'mores Galore!

Tomorrow is the rotoract bake sale for the alternative spring break trip so I obviously had to contribute some cupcakes for a good cause. I decided to go with a s'more cupcake as per request from my roommate and were they delicious! As far a desserts go, s'mores, aren't necessarily my favorite, but if these cupcakes were eaten around the camp fire I certainly would not complain.
My friend, Charlotte, was my baking buddy!
... and my weird roommate. They were the best tasters around! :)

Anyways! I made a few tweaks in the recipe but the original came from The Wicked Noodle

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (15 graham crackers smashed to dust in the food processor or blender)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 T vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 jar of marshmallow cream (the short jar)
A few graham crackers for garnish

CAKE
Preheat oven to 350. Whisk graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. In a separate bowl beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time, blending between each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Alternate adding graham cracker mixture and milk to the batter. Divide among lined muffin tin and bake for about 18-19 minutes. (NOTE: I baked my cupcakes for about 20 minutes and they were ever so slightly overcooked).

GANACHE
While letting the cupcakes cool completely, bring cream to almost a boil in a small sauce pan and then pour over 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is melted and the sauce begins to thicken. Let cool to about room temperature. 

BUTTERCREAM:
2 Sticks of butter
1 Jar of Marshmallow Cream minus 1/3 Cup
1 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
2 T Vanilla

Beat the butter until fluffy and add half the marshmallow cream. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the rest of the marshmallow and beat for about 3 minutes until the frosting is think and fluffy. The marshmallow cream makes it a bit sticky so you may need to add a little powdered sugar. The original recipe called for "toasted marshmallow fluff" but since I'm not the biggest fan of marshmallow, I decided to tone down the flavor a bit. The buttercream is still super marshmallow-y but definitely more subdued than just a heaping blob of marshmallow cream.

Once the cupcakes have cooled, using a paring knife, cut a small hole in the cupcakes. Using the extra marshmallow fluff, place or pipe a dollop of it in the hole you just made. Then fill the hole the rest of the way with the chocolate ganache. 

Then pipe the marshmallow buttercream on top! I dusted mine with a sprinkle of cinnamon and topped them with a chocolate dipped graham cracker.
These were some of the messiest and stickiest cupcakes I have ever eaten, but so delicious! The ganache and marshmallow on the inside seemed to ooze EVERYWHERE. I will definitely make these again. Though s'mores aren't my favorite, I do appreciate a quick slather of peanut butter on my graham crackers before assembling the marshmallows and chocolate. Next time I make these I think I'm going to incorporate some peanut butter into the batter or maybe add some peanut butter to the crater of goodness with the marshmallow fluff and ganache. 

Happy Slurping!

xoxo,
KG

No comments:

Post a Comment