Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Goodness

As I journey through my baking adventures, I have learned some valuable lessons. The most valuable lesson would definitely be "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A GOOD CUPCAKE". Since I have started baking, it seems as though people are genuinely more willing to help out a girl in need. I think this sounds manipulative, but it isn't supposed to be. Basically my observation is people become much friendlier and are more willing to lend a helping hand when you are known for thanking people with a heaping plate of cupcakes. Exhibit A: "Can someone please cover my shift at work? There is a new cupcake recipe I want to try." Within mere minutes of sending the email to my co-workers I received a response with a simple "DIBS" in my inbox. This little system is becoming quite convenient. Don't worry, I'm not taking the cupcake favors for granted though. After my co-worker was kind enough to cover one of my shifts, I quickly got to work on some scrumptious cupcakes.

Mint Chocolate chip ice cream is easily my favorite frozen dessert. Mint and chocolate are such an excellent combination so I couldn't resist whipping up some mint chocolate chip cupcakes. They taste like a gooey chocolate cake topped with a big fat scoop of the frozen stuff. Except they won't give you a brain freeze.
Of course I saved one for my roommate, too. These cupcakes make even the most mundane homework exciting! Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. I'm sure the public sphere in civil society of the Ottoman Empire was still just as mundane even with a cupcake in hand, but I'd like to think it at least made the experience a bit more enjoyable.

CHOCOLATE CAKE: (This is just a basic chocolate cake recipe so if you have a favorite, use it!)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 t baking soda
3/4 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 t Vanilla
1/2 cup boiling water

Sift all of the dry ingredient in a large bowl. Add the egg, milk, canola oil, and vanilla and mix until combined. Add the boiling water and stir until there aren't patches of water in the batter. This batter is a bit runny so I used a ladle to spoon it into the lined cupcake tin. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting or ganaching.

GANACHE:
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 t peppermint extract (or more to taste)

Heat the cream on the stove until almost boiling. Poor the hot cream over the chocolate chips and mix until the chocolate chips have melted into a delightful gooey mess. Stir in the peppermint extract, making sure it is fully combined (no one wants a painful bite of pure peppermint extract).

When the cupcakes have cooled, use a small knife (I'm a big fan of paring knives) to make a hole in the cupcake. Spoon or pipe the ganache into center. (Since the ganache is so gooey, piping is tons easier).


MINT BUTTERCREAM:
1 1/2 stick room temperature butter
2-2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
1 1/2 T heavy cream
1 t Vanilla
1 T peppermint extract

Beat the sugar until whipped and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar in batches alternating with a splash of cream. Add the vanilla and peppermint extract and whip until creamy and think. I also added some green food coloring to give it an extra minty look. Pipe or spread onto your ganached cupcakes.


The vanilla in the buttercream totally makes this taste like an ice cream cupcake. If you wanted a fresher or crisper cupcake, I'd omit the vanilla, but I was definitely going for the ice cream flavor. They were delicious. The ganache on the inside was sticky and wonderful and gave the cake a little extra oomph. Overall, wicked cupcakes.

Live long and prosper.

xoxo,
KG

1 comment:

  1. I WANT TO EAT THISSSS!!!!! Literally what the hell. Why don't I live a block away from you anymore?? I miss you too...don't worry. Not just the cupcakes.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete